The Moment I Worked on for 7 Years (+ 1 year of waiting) Is Here!

By Athirah | Coral Tulip - Tuesday, August 04, 2020

It is the moment anyone who decide to become a doctor are waiting for, since Day 1 of Degree.

Majority of the world calls it "medical intern", it is different to how the word "intern" is commonly used. A medical intern is a physician in training who has completed medical school and has a medical degree but does not yet have a fully registered license to practice medicine in some country.

At Malaysia, we commonly hear the word "Houseman", which I don't really like - for the bad impression it has. Haha. It actually stands for "House Officer", basically a fresh grad doctor. That's it. We have undergone training in hospital, with real patients for 3 years during our medical school. We have passed all the examinations to be where we are now.

Hence, I don't like how people downgrade a houseman, especially a public. Calling them "junior doctor", "intern", "doktor pelatih". It's not wrong, but.. I guess what's wrong is downgrading people. Never mind. That's not the point of this post. Haha

I have just received the legendary email - UD41 placement. Something like that. It is an email that all medical doctors practicing in Malaysia receives in order to work in Malaysia. It means that it is our turn to work. The turn depends on the passing result of final exam. As simple as that. No one with better or worse result will get earlier or later, as simple as the date.

Once we receive the mail, about 2~3 days later is the online application, "first come first serve" basis. It is to be completed within a minute. At the same time, about 1000 applicants will enter the website at the same time and click the hospital oh their choice. We will straight away know whether there is a place for us or not. It is updated live. If once we selected, and appears "full". Start again, login, fill some details, click other hospital of choice.

So how do I feel.. Let me try to put it into words. To be honest, I am overwhelmed with emotions. Let's try to arrange according to what I feel more..

1. Anxious
How will the website going to act tomorrow? Will the computer be okay? How is the internet connection? What if things I never expected, happen to me while I apply?

2. Nervous
Of course, we have in mind of our hospital of choice. For personal reasons, for career reasons, it's up to us. Which hospital am I going to get? Medical school has taught me to always be prepared for the worse, so here I am. Haha. Alhamdulillah 'alaa kulli haal, I'm just praying to get what's best for me.

3. Scared
All the what ifs of treating patients in the hospital.. The treatment of superiors, colleagues and all.. The typical scared before entering a new environment.

4. Motivated
.. and excited at the same time. Alhamdulillah it's a blessing that I chose this road on my own will. I registered on my own to the university, secure funding, anf finally passing the medical school - those were not an easy path.

Let's begin.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 Comment

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Your "that's all" means a loooottt to me! :')

      Delete
  2. a doctor in the house....rietta pun mula mula dgr pertakaan 'houseman' dari kwn rietta....rietta xtaw apa benda tu...pastu dia explain...."aku kan doktor pelatih...housemanship..." lebih kurang la ayat dia...tpi xtaw plak dorg ada juga guna term "intern"....gud luck.....i know how it feel....untuk lapor diri kali pertama...gud luck doktor....

    ReplyDelete